This morning, I ran out of the house wearing two mismatched socks and a tie-dyed scrunchie. A scrunchie, people! Hello, 1986 called and wants its wardrobe back. And the worst part? I totally realized it but we were already running late and I was just too rushed to care.
You see, mornings continue to be utter chaos in our house. Both of our babies are young enough to need help brushing their teeth and getting ready but old enough to flail around and loudly and determinedly exclaim, "I do it myself! Myseeeeeeeelf!" Add in packing lunches, organizing bags, and loading the car and you have the perfect recipe for being on time, well, just about never. The worst part? Breakfast. We try to feed the babies a healthy breakfast (generally oatmeal) but they're never into it and we basically end up chasing them around the house so they eat a few bites. Often, I squish in the backseat and sit in between their giant car seats and feed them their oatmeal on the way. There is no better reminder that I ate far too many cookies this holiday season than forcing myself to fit into the 12 inch space between two monstrous car seats. While wearing my puffy winter coat.
All this to say that when this month's Blogger CLUE theme of "Eat Healthy" was announced, I frantically searched my blog buddy Stacy's blog, Food Lust People Love, for a healthy breakfast recipe that the babies would eat on their own. Preferably with me in the front seat.
Enter Stacy's fantastic collection of muffin recipes under her banner Muffin Mondays. Once a month (on a Monday, obvs), Stacy and a group of her muffin-loving buddies get together to share muffin recipes like this Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffin! Oh be still my heart. But since I want to wait until the babies are in college for them to realize chocolate constitutes an appropriate breakfast, I landed on these delicious-looking Sticky Toffee Bran Muffins. They're naturally sweetened with dates and they have bran which automatically equals healthy in my world.
I'd love to believe our babies will eat dates but I'm trying to be mores realistic this year so I swapped the dates for dried apricots and these Apricot Breakfast Muffins were born! Low in sugar, high in bran, and topped with sugar crystals because I will try anything to get them to eat on their own.
The verdict? The babies called these muffins cupcakes and could not stuff them in their mouths fast enough. But they still insisted I sit in the backseat, delicately wedged in between their car seats.
For more Blogger CLUE, follow along with these posts:
- Apricot Muffins by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Broccoli Stalk Feta Salad by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Citrus Shrimp by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Irish Seafood Cocktail by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Massaged Kale Salad by Anna from annaDishes
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Orange Banana Matcha Smoothie by Kim from Liv Life
- Red Lion Inn Swordfish by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Roasted Carrots and Cauliflower (with a kick) by Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Sophie's Chopped Salad by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Bean Chili by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Winter Salad of Roasted Beets, Avocado and Grapefruit by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm