There is nothing I'd rather do than spend an afternoon wandering around, eating, spotting celebrity chefs, and people watching. The only thing that'd make it more perfect would be if I were being fanned by palm fronds while sitting on some type of throne. But since I don't forsee that happening anytime soon, I'll have to settle for eating and ogling celebrity chefs.
Enter, the 4th Annual Pebble Beach Food and Wine Grand Tasting event, held at the glorious Pebble Beach golf course in Monterey, California. I was able to attend the event courtesy of FoodBuzz and my darling friend Lemons and Anchovies (who also did a fabulous write up of the event). L&A was kind enough to give me her extra ticket so I could bring the hubster to carry my big camera, leaving my hands free for stuffing my face.
There are so many blogger friends who have done a lovely, detailed account of the event. Me, I'll keep it more Letterman's top 10 style. So here we go:
10) While normally, I'd have some qualms eating something bumpy and tentacly, I gobbled two (okay, three) of Chef Morimoto's Angry Octopus with Pickled Radish and Meyer Lemon Mousse on Crispy Rice.
9) True skill is making something as fancy as Shank Terrine with Dungeness Crab and Umbria Lentils for the masses.
8) Don't ever turn down a brownie brown sugar parfait.
7) This is no ordinary scallop. Not when it's served with a Mango Dungeness Crab Ceviche and Blue Corn Crisp.
6) How awesome is it when celebrity chefs that you've watched on TV are fun people in real life?
5) When Chef Chris Cosentino serves beef heart and oyster tartare, you know the fabulous plating is just the start of the magic.
4) Why do berries taste so much better when served in fancy little cups?
3) Crab Beignet. Delicious. Want one now. That is all.
2) Never say no to seconds (or thirds!) of chocolate ice cream sprinkled with fancy sea salt. Calories don't count when eaten from such cute spoons!
1) When a fabulous chef creates something strange-sounding, eat it anyway. It may be the best thing you've ever had. And on that note, I'd like to introduce you to the Buttered Popcorn Bisque.
And perhaps, even after the mind boggling top ten list above, the best part was hanging out with great blogger friends Caffeiiina, SP Cookie Queen, and of course, Lemons and Anchovies. And while I'm bummed I missed seeing Authentic Suburban Gourmet and Kitchen Confidante at this event, I'm hopeful I'll get to hang out with them at the next fabulous foodie event.